@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, November 26, 2012

John Gonzalez, WJLA, Reports on rash of recent fires

Lauren DeMarco, Fox 5 DC, Reports on 3-Alarm New Carrollton Apartment Fire

DC Breaking Local News Weather Sports FOX 5 WTTG

Brad Bell, WJLA News, Report on PGFD Fires

Oxon Hill Fire Victim Identified

Media Contact: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

The Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department has released the identity of the man that succumbed to injuries sustained on early Sunday morning, November 25, 2012.  The man has been identified as Douglas Williams, 59 years-of-age, DOB 2-12-53, of Oxon Hill, MD.  Fire Investigators have concluded the house fire in the 5100 block of Boulder Drive was "accidental" in nature.

Witnesses reported that after the fire started, Mr. Williams rescued his wife and escorted her to safety before returning inside the burning home where he fell unconscious and was located by firefighters near the area of the kitchen/dining room.

Prince George's County Firefighters returned to the community on Sunday afternoon and Monday morning to go door-to-door providing fire safety information and offering to check smoke alarms. Firefighters also answered questions that neighbors had about the incident.









UPDATED - Apartment Building Fire - 85th Avenue

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930, mebrady@co.pg.md.us








Prince George's County Firefighters battled a New Carrolton apartment building fire this afternoon that escalated to 3 Alarms of personnel and apparatus.

At around 1:00 pm, Monday, numerous 911 calls were received reporting an apartment fire at 5312 85th Avenue in the Sutton Walk apartment complex. This is a garden style apartment building with 3 stories in the front and 4 stories in the rear of the building.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy fire showing from the top two floors. It appears all civilians had evacuated safely prior to the fire department arrival. The fire extended into the attic area where firefighters were successful in stopping the extension into adjoining apartment buildings. A 2nd Alarm was sounded bringing additional Fire/EMS units and personnel to the scene to assist in battling the fire. It required fifty firefighters 30 minutes to knock down the bulk of the fire. A precautionary 3rd Alarm was sounded and staged nearby in the event they were needed.

Two firefighters sustained a minor burn injuries and were transported to the Burn Unit at Medstar Washington Hospital Center where it is expected both will be treated and released.

The cause of the fire has been ruled "accidental" and attributed to a malfunctioning natural gas stove in a 2nd floor apartment.  Fire loss is estimated at $750,000. There are a total of 43 apartments that may be affected by the fire and a lack of utilities.  A minimum of 11 apartments in the building of origin will be uninhabitable from fire, heat, smoke and water damage. Two attached buildings may also suffer displacement due to a lack of utilities.  The County Citizen Services Unit is on the scene working with apartment complex management in providing assistance to the displaced residents.