@PGFDPIO Twitter

Friday, November 15, 2013

Early Morning Forestville Fire Appears to have Started in "Grow Room"

 MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

At around 3:30 am, today, Friday, November 15, firefighters arrived at 6431 Pennsylvania Avenue in Forestville.  Fire/EMS encountered fire showing from the top floor of the 3-story garden style apartment building.  A precautionary Second Alarm was sounded, however, first arriving firefighters had the bulk of the fire knocked down within 15 minutes of arrival.  Several families were displaced.  The occupant of the apartment of origin was transported to an area hospital for an unspecified illness and no civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.

Fire Investigators have determined the fire is accidental, with extenuating circumstances.  Fire loss is estimated at $150,000.

Once the fire was extinguished, firefighters were conducting a secondary search of the apartment of origin when a marijuana grow room was discovered.  Investigators believe the fire origin was located in this room.  The County Police were notified for their independent investigation.

This was the third fire in the Penn Landing Apartment complex in the past eight days.  We believe the fires are independent of each other with separate and distinct causes and are not related.

The first incident occurred on Wednesday, November 6, firefighters battled a fire in a top floor apartment at 6425 Pennsylvania Avenue.  This fire was determined to be Arson with fire loss estimated at $350,000.  The investigation remains open and on going.

The second fire in the complex was just after 4:00 pm, Wednesday, November 13, firefighters from the District Heights area responded to a report of an apartment fire.  Fire/EMS units arrived at the 3-story apartment building at 6561 Pennsylvania Avenue with smoke showing from the second floor.  A bedroom fire was quickly located and extinguished.  An unattended candle is responsible for this fire that caused $10,000 in estimated fire loss.  Two adults and two children were displaced.  No injuries were reported.

It is uncommon to have 3 fires within the same apartment complex in such a close period of time.  The Fire/EMS Department will meet with apartment complex management to discuss the incidents, community outreach and public education opportunities.


video

This is raw video captured by Paul "Wall" Hawkins

Conditions on arrival 6431 Pennsylvania Avenue at about 3:30 am (image is from the Morningside VFD Twitter)

Image by Paul "Wall" Hawkins




Firefighters Handle Five Structure Fires within 36 Hours


MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

The Prince George’s County Fire/Emergency Medical Services Department has had a busy couple of days battling structure fires.

Since Wednesday, November 13, three single-family homes and two apartment building fires have been extinguished by firefighters.  There is no common element or connection between any of these incidents.


Fire showing from home on Molly Berry Road

Just before 3:00 pm, Wednesday, November 13, firefighters responded to a reported house fire in the 12500 block of Molly Berry Road.  Firefighters arrived to find a 1-story single family home with fire showing from the garage side of the home with fire extending into the attic.  The fire was extinguished in about 30 minutes.  One home occupant was transported to an area hospital for a check-up.  3 adults and 2 children were displaced.  The cause of the fire is accidental and attributed to the misuse of a oven to provide heat to the home.  Fire loss is estimated at $80,000.

Just after 4:00 pm, Wednesday, November 13, firefighters from the District Heights area responded to a report of an apartment fire.  Fire/EMS units arrived at an 3-story apartment building at 6561 Pennsylvania Avenue with smoke showing from the second floor.  A bedroom fire was quickly located and extinguished.  An unattended candle is responsible for this fire that caused $10,000 in estimated fire loss.  Two adults and two children were displaced.  No injuries were reported.


Front side of house on Fortside Driveway

On Thursday, November 14, Fire/EMS units were dispatched to the 1200 block of Fortside Driveway in Fort Washington and arrived to find a 2-story split foyer single family home with fire and smoke coming from the rear of the house.  Firefighters made a quick knock on the fire caused by unattended cooking.  Fire loss is estimated at $175,000.  The family was displaced.  No injuries reported.

Just before 11:00 pm on Thursday, firefighters from the Morningside area were dispatched to a reported house fire in the 6500 block of Woodland Road.  Firefighters arrived to find a vacant and unoccupied single-family structure with fire showing from the front of the house.  The fire was quickly extinguished.  Fire loss is estimated at $80,000 and is under investigation.  No injuries reported.


At around 3:30 am, today, Friday, November 15, firefighters arrived at 6431 Pennsylvania Avenue in Forestville and encountered fire showing from the top floor of the 3-story garden style apartment building.  A precautionary Second Alarm was sounded, however, firefighters had the bulk of the fire knocked down within 15 minutes of arrival.  Several families were displaced.  The occupant of the apartment of origin was transported to an area hospital for a unspecified illness.  Fire Investigators have determined the fire is accidental, with extenuating circumstances.  Fire loss is estimated at $150,000.  No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.

The photo shows conditions on arrival.  Photo is from Morningside VFD Twitter.