@PGFDPIO Twitter

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Train Derailer Does It Job

Media Contact: Mark Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

A CSX locomotive operating independent of any other rail cars derailed this afternoon at about 3:00 pm. The locomotive hit a safety device, a derailer, on a side track intentionally causing the locomotive to flip partially off of the tracks before entering the main rail line. A small diesel fuel spill resulted however there were no injuries.

This incident occurred in the 2900 block of 52nd Avenue in Bladensburg, an industrial park.
Fire Department haz-mat crews assisted CSX with clean up and monitoring of the situation.
No evacuations, no disruption in commuter rail or vehicle traffic.




Lewisdale House Fire Update - Two Adult Female Victims Succumb

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

It is with our deepest sympathy that the Prince George’s County Fire/Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Department makes this announcement. Two adult females hospitalized in critical condition since Sunday after being removed by firefighters from their burning home have died.


At about 3:45 am, Sunday, November 27, 2011, firefighters and paramedics arrived to find heavy fire and smoke in a house in the 2400 block of Griffen Street in Lewisdale. An adult female was able to escape safely prior to the fire departments arrival.  Despite high heat and heavy blinding smoke firefighters found and removed three occupants from the house.  Paramedics transported them to Washington Adventist Hospital with CPR being administered on all three. Six year old Omari Noel could not be resuscitated and died later that morning. His mother and aunt were partially resuscitated and transferred to the Washington Hospital Center for hyperbaric treatment for smoke inhalation injuries. They remained in critical condition until the time of their death.

The deceased include Simone Anne Munroe, DOB 2/20/1975 and Janet Assing-Macklin, DOB 8/8/1950.

Fire Investigators have concluded that an overloaded power strip in the living room caused the fire and is considered “accidental.”

Since the fire was extinguished firefighters and paramedics have gone door-to-door throughout the county checking on smoke alarms and discussing with citizens and residents the importance of working smoke alarms in addition to having an escape plan in place and practiced. Hundreds of homes were visited on Sunday and Monday with about 25% of the homes found not having a working smoke alarm. Any County citizen and resident can call 301-864-SAFE (7233) and have a firefighter provide fire safety information and if needed, a working smoke alarm will be installed in the home; free of charge.

Here is a link to a 45 second public service announcement about the importance of smoke alarms and home escape plans: http://youtu.be/6abN2KKAuOU


View more videos at: http://nbcwashington.com.