@PGFDPIO Twitter

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

PGFD Firefighter/Medics Deliver More Than Thanksgiving Dinner to Families


MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

A Mount Rainier family was the recipient of a full Thanksgiving meal courtesy of Prince George’s County Firefighter/Medics.  

On Tuesday evening a social worker contacted the Fire/EMS Department and described a family in need.  The social worker had distributed several food baskets amongst needy families in the Rainier Manor Apartments in Mount Rainier but only learned of another family while she was there.  She had exhausted her resources and had nowhere else to turn, so she called the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department. 

The family, 2 adults and 2 grown special needs children, needs were quickly passed on to the Fourth Battalion Commander late Tuesday evening.   Battalion Chief Brian Frankel immediately responded without hesitation to accept the task of providing for the family.

Wednesday morning Frankel informed his Fourth Battalion Firefighter/Medics about the family.  A collection was taken up amongst the firefighters who proceeded to go grocery shopping.  The firefighters shopped at the Hyattsville Giant Food Store #334.   Assistant Store Manager Tabatha Strickland heard what the firefighters were doing and donated a $25 gift card to go along with the food basket.

At around 12 noon today Battalion Chief Frankel and his Fourth Battalion Firefighters delivered a bountiful feast ready for Thanksgiving Day preparation.  The family of four, apartment complex management, the social worker and neighbors of the family thanked the firefighters for their generosity, compassion and ability to respond within such a short time period.

Congratulations and Thanksgiving to the personnel involved in today's delivery of food to a needy family.  You also delivered good will and and a sense of immense pride amongst your peers.

Another act of Thanksgiving will occur around 6:00 pm this evening when Firefighter/Medics from the Northview Fire/EMS Station #816 will deliver another bountiful basket to a Bowie family.  The Giant Food Store #330 donated the Thanksgiving Dinner to be used by the firefighters that work Thanksgiving Day.  The firefighters are extremely grateful to Giant Food, however, will donate the dinner to a Bowie family.  More on this story later.

Firefighter/Medics will also be delivering Holiday Food Baskets along with our Public Safety Partners as we get closer to the Christmas Holiday.  The Public Safety Assistance Program will deliver over 1500 food baskets to the families in need.  More to follow on this as well.

4th Battalion Firefighters with a Mount Rainier family that will now be able to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal.

Partial Collapse of Commercial Building in Upper Marlboro


MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO


A portion of a wall, floor and parking lot of a 2-story commercial building collapsed resulting in closure of businesses.  Sometime after 8:00 pm, Tuesday and daylight today, a portion of wall and floor of 14601 Main Street in Upper Marlboro collapsed.  The building, originally constructed in 1948 has an older bowling alley in the basement.  Fortunately no one was injured due to business being closed when the collapse occurred.

The Fire/EMS Department and the Departments Collapse Team responded at about 9:30 am.  A collapse perimeter was established, a portion of Main Street was closed and businesses attached or near the collapse zone were evacuated with utilities terminated. 

Building Inspectors from the County Department of Permits, Inspections and Enforcement (DPIE) arrived and declared that 14601 and 14603 Main Street were uninhabitable.  The Ledo’s Restaurant at 14605 Main Street was allowed to re-open.  Officials from DPIE were working on determining the extent of damage and cause of the collapse.

Notices posted by Building Inspectors (Brady)

The partial wall collapse (Brady)

The front side of buildings effected (Brady)

Wall & floor damage in building as well as asphalt damage against building  (Paul Gomez)

(Paul Gomez)


Inside looking out (Paul Gomez)










PGFD Safety Tip of the Day - Candles

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO


The fire service has seen an increase in home fires with the popularity and increased use of candles.  Combine the everyday popularity with the increased use during the Holiday Season where candles play an important role in religious celebrations and the chances of a candle ignighting a fire increases.   December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.  In December, across the country, 13% of home candle fires begin with decorations compared to 4% the rest of the year.

The Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department is providing safety tips from the United States Fire Administration to help eliminate preventable candle fires and keep Safety First to ensure everyone goes home.  On average there are 42 home candle fire reported every day.


Causes and Circumstances of Home Candle Fires


  • More than half of all candle fires start when something that could burn, such as furniture, mattresses or bedding, curtains, or decorations is too close to the candle.
  • In one-fifth (20%) of candle fires, the candles are unattended or abandoned.
  • Over one-third (36%) of home candle fires begin in the bedroom.
  • Falling asleep is a factor in 12% of home candle fires and 36% of the associated deaths.
  • December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.  In December, 13% of home candle fires begin with decorations compared to 4% the rest of the year.
  • One-half of home candle fire deaths occur between Midnight and 6 am.
  • Young children and older adults have the highest death risk from candle fires.
  • The risk of fatal candle fires appears higher when candles are used for light.

Sources: NFIRS, NFPA

CANDLE SAFETY TIPS

  • Consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and fell like real candles
  • If you do use candles, ensure they are in sturdy metal, glass or ceramic holders and placed where they cannot be easily knocked down.
  • Avoid using candles in bedrooms and sleeping areas.
  • Extinguish candles after use and before going to bed.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn.
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
  • Set a good example by using matches, lighters and fire carefully.
  • Children should never be allowed to play with matches, lighters or candles.
  • Never use a candle where medical oxygen is being used. The two can combine to create a large, unexpected fire.
  • Always use a flashlight – not a candle – for emergency lighting.
  • Never put candles on a Christmas tree.
  • When using in home worship, don't place lit candles in windows, where blinds and curtains can close over them, or pass handheld candles from one person to another. To lower the risk of fire, candles should be used by only a few designated adults.
  • And NEVER leave burning candles unattended!
Remember!  Candle fires are PREVENTABLE!

In the event of a fire, remember time is the biggest enemy and every second counts!

Escape first, and then call for help. Develop a home fire escape plan and practice it frequently with
your family.  Designate a meeting place outside. Make sure everyone in the family knows two ways to escape from every room.

Finally, as in every season, have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms installed on every level of your home, test them monthly and keep them clean and equipped with fresh batteries at all times. We strongly encourage the use of 10-year, tamper proof, with hush feature smoke and CO alarms.

Know when and how to call for help. And remember to practice your home escape plan.  
The Prince George's County Safety First Program will provide County residents with a working smoke alarm and install one for you, free of charge.  Simply call our Safety First Smoke Alarm Program at 301-864-SAFE (7233) or call 311.


Please watch this music video by Blake Shelton.  It is an excellent example of what can and will go wrong when you leave candles burning unattended.  It only takes one misplaced or unattended candle to cause this type of damage.