@PGFDPIO Twitter

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Help PGFD Win 200 Smoke/CO Alarms & You Can Win $300 from KIDDE

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

Kidde’s “Giving Back” Sweeps includes a 200 Smoke Alarm Donation to the Winner’s 
Local Fire Department

Kidde is one of the leading manufactures of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

Kidde is doing something a little different in the month of November when it comes to their sweepstakes opportunity on Facebook. They love having a winner, but it’s even better when there are many winners. 

Their “Giving Back” sweeps was designed so that they could celebrate many winners! Here’s the scoop -- Their online community can enter to win a $300 gift card of their choice plus a Kidde Kitchen Worry Free Smoke/CO Alarm & Kidde Kitchen Fire Extinguisher. Kidde will also donate 200 Kidde smoke alarms to the winner's local fire department plus $500 to their local food bank! 

KIDDE would love to be donating to Prince George's County!!!.

Here’s the link to enter: http://woobox.com/noyg9w 

Share it with your connections. 


This sweepstakes runs through November 30, 2014. A winner will be picked during the first week in December.

Local Fire/EMS Department Info

You can list the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department, Largo, MD - 240-508-7930

For a list of all local PGFD Fire/EMS Stations and their phone numbers, click here.

Our designated food bank will be the Prince Georges County Public Safety Assistance Program.

PGFD - Stay Warm Safely - Tip of the Day - Fireplace Ashes

Discarded Fireplace Ashes Reignite Damaging Bowie Home

Stay Warm Safely - Tip of the Day


MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO


A fire of accidental origin caused significant damage to a Bowie home and required the family to be relocated.  Their misfortune, while extremely unfortunate, should serve as a timely reminder for others of how to stay warm safely during our cold winter months.

Just after 1:30 pm, Tuesday, November 18, a 911 caller informed call takers the rear of a neighbor’s house was on fire.  Firefighters responded and arrived quickly at a 2-story single-family home in the 14000 block of Heatherstone Drive with heavy smoke coming from the rear.

A quick primary search of the home indicated no occupants were inside.  Firefighters encountered a fire in a converted garage to living area and the rear deck on fire.  The fire was contained within 10 minutes of arrival.

Upon investigation it was determined that fireplace ashes discarded into a plastic container sitting on the wooden deck was the cause of the fire.  The fire caused $75,000 in estimated fire loss.  Tuesdays wind was a likely factor in the reheating and ignition of the plastic container and wooden deck.

No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.  The family made their own alternate living arrangements, as the house is uninhabitable until some repairs are made.

Fireplace ashes can remain capable of reigniting for hours after you think they have stopped burning.   The Fire/EMS Department recommends fireplace ashes be discarded into a sturdy metal container with a lid and stored outdoors on a concrete surface at least 10 feet away from anything combustible.  These ashes can be wet down and left outdoors for several days before discarding. 

Stay Warm Safely!!!

All images provided courtesy of Mark Brady, PGFD PIO