Tuesday, July 1, 2014
Media Contact: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
The Prince George's County Fire/Emergency Medical Services Department and County Safe Kids Coalition were just 2 of several agencies that gathered this morning at Fed Ex Field to entertain and educate County youth with safety information and demonstrations.
The event provided safety information to about 400 students. Kentland Palmer Park Transforming Neighborhood Initiatives (TNI) team, Safe Kids and Links, Inc, sponsored the event. Great job by everyone involved.
Assistant Fire Chief Paul Gomez is the Fire/EMS Department representative on the Kentland/Palmer Park TNI.
Images from Mike Yourishin can be seen by clicking here.
These images were captured by myself.
|Crew from Largo #846 were on hand to assist.|
|Teresa Ann Crisman is the Prince Georges County Safe Kids Coalition Coordinator|
FROM: Marc S. Bashoor, Fire Chief
RE: Landmark Safety Legislation – Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detectors
|Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor|
Similar to smoke alarm legislation enacted in 1982, the Prince George’s County Fire/Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Department will approach the mandate through passive enforcement, favoring public education before citation. The legislation requires CO detectors on every level of existing one and two family homes with:
- Gas service (Natural or propane)
- Attached garage
Each of us should take a vested interest to ensure the public we serve understands the importance of this legislation. Tip sheets are available by clicking here.
Every vehicle in the Fire/EMS Department fleet should have a supply of these tip sheets, to ensure our efforts in public education can achieve real-time affect.
Please take time now to familiarize yourself with the provisions of this legislation, which is attached, and to stock vehicles with the educational tip sheets. We will NOT be able to distribute CO detectors at this time, beyond what may be in your existing stock. We will not be taking names for CO detector giveaways. Should a significant donation to the "Safety First" program be realized in the future, we will reevaluate this position.
Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor will make his way around Prince George's County today checking smoke alarms and the presence of a CO detector. His first stop of the day was his own house in Bowie, MD. When his combined smoke/CO alarm was tested, both alarms responded appropriately.