Saturday, June 30, 2012
Over 60 residents of a Landover apartment building without electrical power on 64th Avenue this morning were displaced and 5 injured when an unattended candle ignited a fire at about 1:45 am today. The fire required a second alarm of firefighters to extinguish
- On average, in the U.S., there are 35 home candle fires reported per day.
- Roughly two-fifths of these fires started in the bedroom.
- More than half of all candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle.
- Generators should be used in well-ventilated locations outside away from all doors, windows and vent openings. The generator should be placed as far away as possible and at a minimum at least 3 feet away from combustibles-this includes your house.
- Never use a generator in an attached garage, even with the door open.
- Place generators so that exhaust fumes can’t enter the home through windows, doors or other openings in the building.
- Make sure to install carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for correct placement and mounting height.
- Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling. Never refuel a generator while it
- When plugging in appliances, make sure they are plugged directly into the generator or a heavy-duty outdoor-rated extension cord. The cords should be checked for cuts, tears and that the plug has all three prongs, especially a grounding pin.
- Apartments and condos are not permitted to use generators on their balconies. CO can enter into living areas above and on either side of your unit.
All photos by Jim Davis of pgfdfire.com (not affiliated with the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department)
Friday, June 29, 2012
The business involved performs document management. The warehouse area stores a high quantity of paper files. These files are stored in boxes on tall storage shelves. During the collapse a number of these storage shelves toppled over.
Members of the Fire/EMS Department Technical Rescue Team with mutual aid assistance from the District of Columbia Collapse Team have made several searches of the warehouse interior for the employee. A K-9 has also been brought in to search the area where the employee was last seen.
Other warehouses that are attached to the partially collapsed warehouse have been evacuated as a precaution. These include Pepsi-Cola and a Whole Foods distribution warehouse.
No injuries have been reported. In addition to the 75 firefighters, medics, ladies auxiliary/canteen and technical rescue team members on the scene personnel from the Office of Emergency Management and Council Member Andrea Harrison were also on the incident scene.
We are still in a rescue operation. After firefighters have exhausted all searches of the unaccounted worker than a decision will be made on the next course of action. It is believed that any heavy duty work would not start until the light of day On Friday morning.
If anything new develops I will update this site and Twitter @pgfdpio as soon as possible. Mark Brady PGFDPIO 240-508-7930
Thursday, June 28, 2012
Throughout the course of the summer there will be periods of unhealthy high temperatures and humidity. Drink plenty of water throughout the course of each day, wear light colored clothing and take frequents breaks in an air conditioned environment. If someone becomes is sweating profusely with a pale skin color and is ill with any or all of the following symptoms; cramps, light headiness, dizziness, shortness of breath and nausea; remove them to a shady or air conditioned area, provide them with water and cool wet compresses to help reduce their body temperature. These symptoms could indicate that the person is possibly suffering from heat exhaustion. If their condition does not improve within a matter of a couple minutes; call 911.
If a person is experiencing similar symptoms and goes unconscious, does not display signs of sweating and skin color is red; call 911 immediately as this person may be experiencing heat stroke; a life threatening condition. Relocate this person to a shady or air conditioned area, provide cold compresses and loosen clothing in order to reduce this person's body temperature. Do not provide any fluids to an unconscious person. Hazy, hot and humid conditions are forecast for Prince George's County over the weekend. Firefighters and Paramedics want you to stay safe and healthy. Stay informed about weather conditions, Stay Ready and Stay Safe. To help stay informed we have included the following information from the National Weather Service. Remember to check on senior citizen neighbors and family members during periods of high heat and keep your pets indoors and provide them plenty of drinking water.
Air Quality for Metropolitan Washington
Friday, June 29
Code Orange: Pollution levels harmful to children and anyone with breathing or heart conditions
Saturday 6/30 Orange
Sunday 7/1 Orange
National Weather Service Forecast
Event: Heat Advisory
Alert: ...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TO 9 PM EDT FRIDAY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A HEAT ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TO 9 PM
EDT FRIDAY. THE EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
* HEAT INDEX VALUES...AROUND 105 DEGREES.
* TEMPERATURES...UPPER 90S TO AROUND 100 DEGREES.
* IMPACT...RISK OF HEAT EXHAUSTION OR OTHER HEAT-RELATED ILLNESS
FOR THOSE WITHOUT AIR-CONDITIONING OR THOSE SPENDING TIME
OUTDOORS FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD.
Instructions: A HEAT ADVISORY MEANS THAT A PERIOD OF HOT TEMPERATURES IS EXPECTED. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS...STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM...STAY OUT OF THE SUN...AND CHECK IN ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS. TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS IF YOU WORK OR SPEND TIME OUTSIDE. WHEN POSSIBLE...RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES TO EARLY MORNING OR EVENING. KNOW THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION AND HEAT STROKE. WEAR LIGHT WEIGHT AND LOOSE FITTING CLOTHING WHEN POSSIBLE AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. TO REDUCE RISK DURING OUTDOOR WORK...THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION RECOMMENDS SCHEDULING FREQUENT REST BREAKS IN SHADED OR AIR CONDITIONED ENVIRONMENTS. ANYONE OVERCOME BY HEAT SHOULD BE MOVED TO A COOL AND SHADED LOCATION. HEAT STROKE IS AN EMERGENCY - CALL 9 1 1.