@PGFDPIO Twitter

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Lanham House Fire - 87th Avenue

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

Prince George's County Firefighters battled a fire in Lanham home on Friday afternoon.  At about 5:00 pm, Friday, October 19,  firefighters from West Lanham Hills Fire/EMS Station #848 and surrounding Departments were dispatched to a reported house fire in the 6200 block of 87th Avenue.  The first arriving unit was from the Office of Emergency Management Citizen Services Unit and he provided an on scene size-up of a 2-story, split level, single family home with heavy smoke issuing from the roof.  The fire appears to have started in the ceiling light fixture in the kitchen.  The fire extended throughout the attic area and through the roof.  It required 20 minutes to knock down the fire.

No injuries were reported.  Two adult occupants are displaced and are making their own living arrangements.  The cause of the fire is listed as "accidental."  Fire loss is estimated at $25,000.

All photos are provided courtesy of the photographer; Billy McNeel, Office of Emergency Management, Citizen Services Unit.