@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, July 25, 2011

Hyattsville House Fire

Media Contact: Major Paul Cruz, 240-286-2982

A Hyattsville family safely escaped their burning home early this morning. On Monday, July 25, 2011, just after 3:00 am Public Safety Communications received a 911 report of a house fire in the 5500 block of 43rd Place. The caller advised 911 call takers that the rear deck was on fire. Fire/EMS units arrived on the scene reporting fire on all 3 floors, rear side, with extension to the house next door.

Due to the balloon frame construction of the house and high heat conditions the Incident Commander, requested a second alarm. These resources would ensure a rotation of personnel through a rehab and hydration area in between periods of work.

One firefighter was transported to a local hospital suffering from heat related issues.
Fire Investigators estimated fire loss at approximately $200,000 in damages ($150,000 Structures/$50,000 Contents). The cause was determined to be accidental as a result of a charcoal grill that was just hours before.

The County Citizen Services Unit and the Red Cross are assisting the displaced family.