@PGFDPIO Twitter

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Firefighters Battle Blaze in Lanham Assisted Living Group Home

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

Prince George's County Firefighters extinguished a fire in an assisted living group home in Lanham this morning.  At about 6:30 am, Thursday, April 16, firefighters responded to 6120 Princess Garden Parkway and arrived at the 1-story, with basement, home with fire and smoke coming from the roof. 

This house was in use as an assisted living group home with 4 residents and 1 employee.  All 5 occupants were able to safely escape the fire on their own.  Fire Investigators could not determine if smoke alarms played any role in their notification and escape.

Firefighters battled a fire in the attic area of the house.  It required about 15 minutes to extinguish the fire.  No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.  The 4 residents will be displaced and moved to other group homes.

Fire loss is estimated at $10,000.  The cause of the fire is accidental and attributed to an electrical malfunction.

Image by Billy McNeel