@PGFDPIO Twitter

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Harvest Festival - A Safe Alternative for Children


Laurel Rescue Squad Volunteers Deliver More Than Safety

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

The Laurel Volunteer Rescue Squad will be delivering safety along with a pizza this year.  The volunteers have teamed up with the Laurel Home Depot and Papa Johns Pizza to reward homes in the Laurel area that call or make an on-line order for a delivery pizza and have a working smoke alarm.  Starting Saturday, October 24, at 12:00 pm, the Laurel Volunteers will wait for the first pizza delivery request at the Papa Johns Pizza at 13919 Baltimore Avenue, phone number is (301) 490-7272.

The volunteers will deliver the pizza themselves and ask an adult at the house if they can check their smoke alarm.  If the smoke alarm works – the pizza is free!!!!  If the smoke alarm does not work – the Laurel Rescue Squad Volunteers will install a brand new smoke alarm for you – free of charge, courtesy of the Laurel Home Depot.  You must pay for the pizza if your alarm does not sound an alert.

So it would make sense that residents of Laurel to test your smoke alarm now by pressing the test button on the front of your alarm.  You should hear an audible alarm.  If not, replace the battery and try again.  Still not working, replace with a new 10-year smoke alarm.  Remember to Hear the Beep Where you Sleep!!!  It's a proven fact that working smoke alarms save lives.  Have 10-year smoke alarms installed on every level of your home, primarily just outside of sleeping areas and one in every bedroom.

The Laurel Volunteer Rescue Squad will continue this fire prevention effort for one week.  Thanks to the Laurel Home Depot for donating the new smoke alarms and to Papa Johns for providing the pizza.

Members of the media are invited to attend the inaugural delivery on Saturday, October 24, 12:00 pm, at the Laurel Papa Johns, 13919 Baltimore Avenue.






Beltsville Hotel Fire Sparked by Improperly Placed Space Heater - Sprinklers Extinguished

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

A Beltsville hotel found out the hard way that space heater safety is not just for the home.  At around 4:00 pm, Tuesday, October 20, 2015 a 911 was received reporting an odor of smoke on the 5th floor of a hotel in the 4000 block of Powder Mill Road.

Firefighters from the nearby Calverton Fire/EMS Station responded and quickly confirmed smoke on the 5th floor with a sprinkler activation.  Upon further investigation firefighters found curtains had been ignited by an improperly placed electric space heater.  Fortunately the buildings sprinkler system activated and doused the flames limiting the amount of fire loss to an estimated $1,000.

Fire Departments around the region have already seen the devastation caused by improper use of space heaters in just the past 2 weeks.  A home fire in Charles County claimed two lives after a space heater ignited a fire and on Monday a Seat Pleasant house fire was started by a space heater that caused significant damage and the loss of two pet dogs.  According to NFPA statistics space heaters account for about one third of the home heating fires yet more than 80 percent of the home heating fire deaths. 



Space Heaters

Buy only heaters evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL). 



Check to make sure it has a thermostat control mechanism, and will switch off automatically if the heater falls over or if placed too close to an object.

Heaters are not dryers or tables; don't dry clothes or store objects on top of your heater. 

 

Space heaters need space; keep combustibles at least three feet away from each heater.

Always unplug your electric space heater when not in use. 



Turn off at night or whenever you sleep. 


Never use an extension cord with space heaters - plug directly into wall socket.