@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, January 23, 2012

Identity of Fire Fatality from Bladensburg on January 18th

Media Contact: Mark E. Brady, 240-508-7930


At around 11:00 am, Wednesday, January 18, firefighters in the Bladensburg area discovered an adult male deceased from thermal burn injuries. He was found in his apartment on the 6th floor at 5802 Annapolis Road where firefighters had been dispatched to investigate smoke in the hallway.

Fire Investigators believe that the man accidentally ignited his clothing while cooking. The male sustained critical burn injuries and was pronounced deceased on the scene.

Fire Investigators found evidence of a relatively small fire near the area of the stove, however, damage was minimal. The cause of the fire is accidental and attributed to cooking igniting the deceased clothing.

The identity of the deceased man has been confirmed by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner as Jerry Holloway, date of birth: 9/7/1960. He was a resident of the apartment of origin, #601.

This is the first fire fatality in Prince George's County in 2012.

Firefighters Awarded for Removing Occupants from Burning Home

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

Bowie Volunteer Fire Fighter Travis Murdoch, Fire Chief Marc Bashoor and Fire Fighter Michael Conway during presentation of Emergency Services Awards for rescuing four people trapped in their burning home. (BRADY)

Prince George’s County Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor presented two deserving members of the Fire/EMS Department with awards recognizing them for their efforts in rescuing four people trapped in their burning home.


On the morning of November 25, 2011, at 0406 hours, Bowie Fire/EMS Station #839 was dispatched to 14100 block of  Pleasant View Drive for the report of a house on fire with people trapped. Fire Fighter Michael Conway was riding the “bar” position and Bowie Volunteer Fire Fighter Travis Murdoch was the officer-in-charge on Engine 839B. Upon entering the two-story, single-family dwelling, crews encountered heavy “blacked out” smoke conditions and intense heat in the first floor hallway. A fire was located on the first floor in the living room area and crews advanced a hose line to extinguish the fire.  As crews were working to contain the fire, Conway and Murdoch found the steps and ascended to the smoke and heat filled second floor, where Conway proceeded to the right and Murdoch taking the rooms on the left. Without the protection of a hose line, the pair began a search of the second floor bedrooms for the two adults and three children reported to be trapped in the home. Conway entered a room and located four female victims. He led them to an exterior balcony, where Murdoch and fellow crew members assisted with removing three of the victims from the balcony and onto the ladder. The three 12 year-old female patients were turned over to the care of awaiting paramedics, who assessed them and transported them to the hospital. For mobility reasons, the fourth victim, an adult female, was unable to exit via the ladder. A decision was made to remove her via the interior stairwell. Fire Fighter Conway removed his SCBA face piece and placed it on the victim, allowing her to breath fresh air as the exited through the thick smoke, and with the assistance of an officer on the scene, she was removed to safety.

The three 12 year-old females were treated and released from the hospital later that day; however, the adult female was hospitalized for several days before being released.

Fire Chief Bashoor presented the pair with Emergency Services Award on Monday, January 23, 2012, at the Bowie Fire/EMS Station 839. He stated, “For your performance on the scene of the aforementioned incident, you are hereby presented a Fire/EMS Department Emergency Service Award. Congratulations and thank you for an outstanding job. Your actions represent the excellent service our Department strives to provide to the citizens of Prince George’s County.”


Bowie Volunteer Chief Lee Haven and Fire Fighter Michaels Conway's father and Fire/EMS crews from the Bowie stations were on hand to witness the presentation of awards.


Firefighter Suffers Cardiac Arrest Playing Hockey with DCFD Team VS PGFD Team - Assisted by Fellow Firefighters

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

A District of Columbia Fire Department (DCFD) member was playing hockey in a game that include DCFD versus the PGFD team at the Gardens Ice House in Beltsville on Sunday afternoon in the 5:00 hour. The DCFD member went into cardiac arrest while on the ice just prior to a face-off. Players from both teams initiated CPR and used an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) on the 30ish year old male.

Prince Georges County Fire/EMS Department Firefighters and Paramedics from Calverton; Paramedic Engine 841 and Ambulance 841, and Laurel; Paramedic Unit 810, arrived and initiated pre-hospital advanced life support measures and transported to a nearby hospital.

The male was revived and stabilized at the hospital and later in the evening was transferred to another hospital with cardiac specialty care.

The patient remains in the critical care unit.

Please contact the District of Columbia Fire/EMS Department for additional info.