MEDIA CONTACT ONLY: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
An adult female suffered sudden cardiac arrest while playing Bingo in Accokeek on Thursday evening, December 22. Fortunately this event occurred at the Accokeek Volunteer Fire Department where Firefighter/EMTs were readily available and immediately provided life-saving intervention.
The adult female was one of about 100 patrons at the Accokeek Bingo at around 9:15 pm when she suddenly collapsed. She was found to be not breathing with no pulse. Accokeek Volunteer members working the Bingo were the first to intervene while the combined volunteer and career staffing at the station were quick to respond and continue life-saving efforts including cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and the use of an automatic external defibrillator (AED) to administer a shock in an attempt to stimulate her heart.
Paramedics from the Fort Washington Fire/EMS Station responded to the call and arrived to find CPR still being administered. Firefighters and medics loaded the patient into a transport unit and departed to the nearest hospital while providing advanced life support and pre-hospital care to the patient. Prior to arriving at the hospital the female patient regained spontaneous circulation as well as becoming alert and orientated.
As of Friday morning, the patient remains in the hospital ICU in relatively good condition. “This save is indicative of the team work, dedication and commitment of all our EMS providers working to save a life,” said Brian J. Frankel, Assistant Fire Chief and Commander of EMS Services for the Prince George's County Fire/Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Department. “Early access AED and CPR really does save lives!”
The Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department currently offers a phone app that alerts CPR trained citizens that are in close proximity to a cardiac arrest call. The phone app also provides the location of the nearest AED. Everyone is encouraged to learn CPR and how to use an AED in addition to downloading the Pulse Point app on your phone. Learn CPR and help save a life!