MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @PGFDPIO
A firefighter that sustained burns while battling a house fire over 2 weeks ago has been readmitted to the Burn Unit.
Benjamin “Ben” Eddowes, a 24-year-old volunteer member of the Bladensburg Fire/EMS Station #809 sustained burn injuries to both ears and his leg on Friday, January 31, 2014. He was operating at the scene of a house fire in the 3400 block of 40th Place in Colmar Manor when he was injured. Eddowes was initially admitted to the Burn Unit at Medstar Washington Hospital Center where he stayed overnight and released the following day.
Prince George’s County Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor visited with Eddowes on Saturday. Bashoor stated, “Burn injuries are prone to infection and unfortunately this type of setback occurs, however, he is in the best of care. There is a contingent of fellow firefighters with him at all times including members of the DC Firefighters Burn Foundation.”
Bladensburg Volunteer Chief Randy Kuenzli stated, “Last week he was readmitted when his burn injuries on his leg became infected. The ears are fine but the leg got infected. When they went in to deal with the infection they discovered that it was a 3rd degree burn and that the infection went into the calf muscle of his leg.”
Ben is being treated for the infection and if all goes well he will have a surgical procedure involving a skin graft performed on Wednesday. He will remain hospitalized for at least 5 additional days after the procedure.
Volunteer Fire Fighter Eddowes is accepting visitors and is in Room 3 E 34 at the Burn Unit. You can visit him on his Facebook page by clicking here. His Email address is: email@example.com.