MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
A fire that is believed to have started accidentally in a 1st floor bedroom caused an estimated $25,000 in damage and displaced a family of six. At about 12:15 pm firefighters from the Hyattsville and surrounding area were alerted to a house fire in the 3800 block of Oglethorpe Street. Firefighters arrived to find a 2-story single family home with smoke showing. There were a total of 33 firefighter/medics on the scene that required about 8 minutes to extinguish the fire after arrival. No injuries were reported.
2 adults and 4 children will be displaced and will stay with other family members in the area. A search of the home failed to find any working smoke alarms.
Images are provided courtesy of Matt McSherry