@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, April 6, 2015

Springdale Resident Succumbs to Burn Injuries

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

A Sunday night fire in a Springdale home resulted in critical burn injuries to a male occupant.  Prince George’s County Firefighter/Medics were alerted to a fire inside of a 2-story single family home in the 3400 block of Edwards Street at around 9:15 pm, Sunday, April 5, 2015.

Upon Fire/EMS arrival an adult male, 83 years-of-age, was located in the basement living room with 80% 2nd and 3rd degree burns to his body.  Medics treated the patient on the scene and transported him to MEDSTAR Washington Hospital Center Burn Unit in critical condition.

It appears the man was sitting in a piece of furniture and accidentally ignited his clothing with a lit cigarette.   Family members were alerted by a working smoke alarm and extinguished the fire prior to the Fire/EMS Departments arrival.

Despite the valiant efforts of family members, firefighters, medics and hospital staff the man succumbed to his burn injuries earlier this morning.

The name of the deceased is being withheld pending family notification.

This is the second residential fire fatality this year.  Both incidents involve cigarettes.  On the evening of January 1, 2015, a Laurel resident was in the process of lighting her cigarette when her hair caught fire.  She succumbed to her burn injuries the following day.

Prince George's County Firefighter/Medics will return to the Springdale community as part of our Post Incident Neighborhood Intervention Program (PINIP).  After a tragic incident such as this community members are more apt to allow firefighters into their homes to check smoke alarms and inspect the home for any obvious fire hazards.  Firefighters will provide as much information as possible about the incident to alleviate misinformation and rumors.  If a firefighter finds a home without a working smoke alarm or one that is 10-years-old or older, a new 10-year smoke alarm will be installed free of charge.