@PGFDPIO Twitter

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Upper Marlboro Fire Extinguished by Residential Sprinklers

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930, mebrady@co.pg.md.us

A residential sprinkler system is credited with extinguishing a fire that would have had a long lasting impact on the lives of several homeowners. At about 6:30 pm, Tuesday, May 31, 2011, Fire/EMS units from Kettering/Largo and surrounding communities responded to a report of a fire in an Upper Marlboro townhouse. Firefighters arrived to find light smoke coming from a 2-story, middle-of-the-row, townhouse in the 9800 block of Royal Commerce Place. An accidental fire erupted in the kitchen of the townhouse after food was left cooking on the stove, unattended by the occupant. Before the fire was able to extend to other rooms in the townhouse, the residential sprinkler system activated and doused the flames. Although there was an estimated $40,000 in fire loss to the structure and contents in the townhouse of origin; fire, heat and smoke damage was limited to this townhouse as well as to adjoining homes. If this fire had continued to burn until firefighter’s arrival for extinguishment it is quite probable that extensive damage and displacement of residents would have occurred to the unit of origin and adjoining homes.


In 1987, a law was passed in Prince George’s County mandating the installation of sprinkler systems in all new residential construction. The law was phased in over a 5 year period. By law, starting in 1992, any and all new residential construction, including multi-family and single family homes, were required to have a sprinkler system.

Acting Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor commented, “In the nearly twenty years since residential sprinklers became mandatory in all new residential construction in Prince George’s County, we have experienced a total of nearly 100 fatalities and scores of injuries attributable to fires in our residential home stock. Out of all those fire incidents, not one single fatality or significant injury due to fire has occurred in a residential structure that was protected by a properly maintained sprinkler system.”

While smoke alarms are designed to alert a family that a fire may be present, residential sprinklers are designed to protect your routes of escape and keep that fire in check long enough for you and your family to make it to safety. An additional benefit is that should a fire occur, they are also designed to greatly minimize the severity of damage and loss of property that would otherwise result. In 1992, Prince George’s County became the first County in the nation to require working smoke alarms and residential sprinklers in all new construction.

Bashoor added, "The fire service considers residential sprinkler systems to be a valuable and indispensable resource in our efforts to protect and serve your family, not to mention their great potential to protect the lives and safety of your community firefighters who must otherwise face the risks and hazards involved in battling an unchecked residential fire. Remember, Safety First Ensures Everyone Goes Home."

For additional information and statistics on the benefits of residential sprinklers in Prince George’s County please click here.

Major Smedley Reunites with Yvette Cade During Documentary Filming

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

On the morning of Monday, October 10, 2005, Yvette Cade was at her place of work in Clinton when her ex-husband doused her with a flammable liquid and set her on fire. Cade, narrowly escaping death, sustained critical burn injuries over 60 percent of her body. Units from Clinton Fire/EMS Station 825 arrived on the scene, where they provided advanced life support measures and quickly transported the critically injured patient. Corey Smedley, who was assigned Medic 825 on the day of this tragic incident, was one of the paramedics who worked feverishly to save Yvette Cade’s life. A Prince George’s County firefighter for a little over 10 years, Smedley had only recently successfully completed the coursework necessary to become a paramedic.



Major Corey Smedley and Yvette Cade met for the first
 time since he helped to save her life in October 2005
On May 7, 2011, Yvette Cade and Corey Smedley met again for the first time since he treated her on that fateful day in October 2005. They were brought together by a production company that is compiling a documentary on Cade’s story. With her permission, Corey Smedley recalled the details of that day and the actions he took to save her life. The documentary is set to air in the fall of 2011.

Cade, now a spokesperson for domestic violence, has taken her story to nearly every print, TV, radio and internet site willing to hear her story. Smedley has continued to advance through his career, received his Master’s Degree, and completed the County Police Academy. He is currently the Major in the Office of the Fire Marshal.

Major Smedley's partner on the Medic Unit on October 10, 2005, was Paramedic Clarence Godfrey.  Staffing the Ambulance was Fire Lieutenant Everett Burris and Fire Fighter/Medic Matthew Rickard.  A volunteer staffed engine from Clinton also assisted on the call.