@PGFDPIO Twitter

Thursday, January 19, 2012

PRESS CONFERENCE - Public Schools Partner with Fire/EMS Department in New Program for Students

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

Prince George’s County leaders will conduct a press conference to announce a joint partnership between the Fire/Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Department and Public Schools.  It appears things could get pretty hot after the press conference on Friday afternoon.


After the formal press conference, a tour of the Fire/EMS Training Academy Emergency Medical Services lab will be provided and after that, things get hot for our participants. County Executive Baker, Dr. Hite and Fire Chief Bashoor will be fitted with firefighters personal protective equipment, including self contained breathing apparatus, and enter the academy burn building where a raging fire awaits them. Will they be able to take the heat?? Can the trio put this fire out?? The answers remain to be seen.

WHAT: Announcement of a partnership between Prince George’s County Public Schools and the Fire/EMS Department.

WHEN: Friday, January 20, 2012, 2:00 pm

WHERE: Prince George’s County Fire/Emergency Medical Services Training Academy

9190 Commo Road, Cheltenham, MD, 20623

WHO: Prince George’s County Executive Rushern L. Baker III, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer of Public Safety Mr. Barry Stanton, Superintendant of Prince George’s County Public Schools Dr. William Hite, and County Fire/EMS Chief Marc S. Bashoor

Cause and Origin in Bladensburg Fatal Fire

Media Contact: Mark E. Brady, 240-508-7930

At around 11:00 am, Wednesday, January 18, firefighters in the Bladensburg area discovered an adult male deceased from thermal injuries. He was found in his apartment on the 6th floor at 5802 Annapolis Road where firefighters had been dispatched to investigate smoke in the hallway.

Fire Investigators believe that the man accidentally ignited his clothing while cooking. The male sustained critical burn injuries and was pronounced deceased on the scene.

Fire Investigators found evidence of a relatively small fire on the stove top, however, damage was minimal.
The cause of the fire is accidental and attributed to cooking with fire loss estimated at $5,000.

The identity of the deceased is not yet confirmed as autopsy results will be required to do so. It is believed that the victim is the occupant that normally resides in the apartment of origin.

This is the first fire fatality in Prince George's County in 2012.

Fire Service Orientation Open House