@PGFDPIO Twitter

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Fire Chief and Firefighters Attend District 8 Seniors Picnic

Prince George’s County Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor along with firefighter/medics from the Department's 5th Battalion joined members of the community at the District 8 Annual Senior Picnic on Saturday August 20, 2011. The South County Institute For Economic Development hosted the event. Firefighters provided fire safety and injury prevention material as well as free smoke alarms to participants.  The picnic was held at the Oxon Hill Manor, 6901 Oxon Hill Road, Oxon Hill, Maryland.   Fire Chief Bashoor commented that, “Myself and members of the Fire/EMS Department enjoyed greeting this great crowd at this wonderful community gathering.”

Any County resident can receive a smoke alarm installed in their home by firefighters, free of charge, by calling our Safety First Line at 301-864-SAFE (7233).

5th Battalion Firefighter/Medics stand with Fire Chief Bashoor and County Councilman Obie Patterson (red shirt)
at the District 8  Annual Seniors Picnic. 

Members of the Community receive fire safety and injury prevention materials,
as well as smoke alarms, at the Seniors Picnic.

Strong Storms Play Possible Role in a House Fire and a Tragic Death

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

Prince George’s County Firefighters and Medics handled nearly 450 calls on Friday as strong storms rolled through the area.  It appears the storms played a role in a house fire that displaced a family of five and in a separate incident where a freak chain of events resulted in a tragic death.

At around 8:30 pm, Friday, August 19, firefighters responded to the 1200 block of Sandy Bar Drive in Fort Washington for a reported house fire.  Fire/EMS units arrived to find a 1-story single family home with smoke showing.  Firefighters quickly contained and extinguished the fire.  Fire Investigators believe that utility lines ignited a fire in a tree.  The fire in the tree quickly extended into the house.  Fire loss is estimated at $50,000.  The County Citizen Services Unit provided assistance to five adult occupants that are displaced.  There were no injuries reported. 

About 2:00 am, Saturday, August 20, firefighters responded to the area of Naylor Road and Southern Avenue in Temple Hills for a report of downed utility lines.  It appears that a large tree fell on overhead utility lines causing tension on the lines.  The tension resulted in energized power lines falling to the ground in a 2-block area and snapping a utility pole.  The entire area was unsafe to enter due to the energized power lines that carry 13k volts of power.  Firefighters re-routed all vehicular and pedestrian traffic away from the area.

While assessing the damage, workers discovered a person that appears to have been struck by the top half of the snapped utility pole and energized power lines in the 3200 block of Naylor Road.  Firefighters and paramedics could not safely reach the patient due to the electrical hazard of energized utility lines.  Once utility workers terminated the electrical power to the area, paramedics medically assessed the patient.  The patient, an approximately 25-year-old male, sustained crushing injuries as well as burns to over 50% of his body.  After medical consultation, paramedics pronounced the male deceased on the scene. 

The Prince George’s County Police Department was requested and they will be conducting an investigation into what appears to be a very tragic death.  This is an on-going investigation and no additional information is currently available.

View more videos at: http://www.nbcwashington.com.