@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, October 15, 2012

Classic Photo of PGFD Watching RG III's Epic Run Sunday






Griffin's run was of epic proportions (US Presswire) from www.WUSA9.com website




Two Prince George's County Firefighter/Medics had a sideline view of RG III's epic run on Sunday at FedEx Field.  

Redskins players and fans will talk about Robert Griffin III's 76-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter against the Vikings like old-timers talk about Neil Armstrong walking on the moon. In every way, shape and form, RGIII's galloping burst down the sidelines and into the stands of Fed Ex Field was a historical event not just for the Redskins, but in the history of the NFL.

WUSA 9 News Coverage of Busy Sunday for PGFD

Upper Marlboro Civilian Fatality and Cause of Fire Identified

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930


Prince George's County Fire Investigators have ruled the cause of a house fire that claimed the life of an Upper Marlboro woman as accidental and attributed to the improper use of an electrical device.

As was reported yesterday, at around 3:00 am, Sunday, October 14, firefighters from the Largo/Upper Marlboro area responded to the 12800 block of Peachleaf Court in Upper Marlboro, a 2-story single family home, to investigate an activated smoke alarm. 

An alarm monitoring company received a signal indicating an activated smoke alarm in the house.  The alarm company notified Public Safety Communications and an engine from the Kettering/Largo Fire/EMS Station #846 was dispatched to investigate the alarm.  Firefighters arrived to find a working fire in the basement and immediately requested additional fire/EMS units. 

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and located an unconscious adult female during the primary search of the house. The female occupant, pulseless and not breathing, was removed by firefighters, treated on the scene by paramedics and transported to a hospital.  The female was suffering from 2nd and 3rd degree burns covering about 1/3 of her body as well as smoke inhalation injuries. 

Paramedics were successful in reestablishing a pulse on the victim prior to arrival at the hospital.

Despite the very best efforts of firefighters, paramedics and hospital staff the female succumbed to injuries late Sunday evening at the Prince Georges Hospital Center in Cheverly.

Fire Investigators believe the combination of improper use of an electrical power strips, extension cord and combustibles on top of the power strips caused the fire and have ruled this as "accidental."  The power strips were overloaded in addition to one being plugged into another power strip.  A normal household extension cord was also being utilized in this dangerous mix of electric components.  Combustible materials on top of the power strips were also a contributing factor.  Fire loss is estimated at $30,000.  

The deceased is identified as Deidre Lynn Young of Upper Marlboro, DOB 2/25/1964.

If there is anything that can be taken away from this tragic incident is that everyone should:

  • Have working smoke alarms on every level of your home, test them monthly.
  • Plan and practice a home escape that includes 2 ways out of every room and a safe place to meet outside.
  • Always follow manufacturers instructions on electric appliances, power strips and extension cords; especially the areas of the manual that provide notes of warning and cautions.
If any citizen or business would like a firefighter to come to their house to inspect smoke alarms, CO detectors and receive information on fire safety items, including escape plans, please call our Safety First – Everyone Goes Home program at 301-864-SAFE (7233).





Thanks From a Very Grateful Class of Students


The Firefighters at the Branchville Fire/EMS Station #811 in College Park hosted a group of students from High Point High School on Friday.  Teresa Crisman, Community Outreach Coordinator for the Fire/EMS Department, joined the Branchville firefighters in providing an informative and entertaining fire safety visit.  Students toured the fire station and apparatus and had a very interactive discussion with the personnel. 

One of the High Point instructors wrote later that day and stated,  My kids had an absolutely awesome time. The staff was courteous, knowledgeable, informative, and engaging.  Everyone learned so much including the staff .My students were talking about it for the rest of the day. I can't thank you enough for arranging this trip and the entire staff for their hard work. This trip was so educational and fun that my boss wants to make it an annual October trip if that is possible.” 

Students and staff are absolutely welcome to come back at any time.  We enjoyed the visit as much as they did.

Congratulations to Teresa Crisman and the firefighters at Branchville for your fire safety presentation that has left quite an impression.





Civilian Fire Fatality from Sunday Home Fire in Upper Marlboro


Media Contact: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

It is with profound sadness that the Prince George's County Fire/Emergency Medical Services Department makes notification that the female occupant pulled from her burning Upper Marlboro home on Sunday morning has died. 

As was reported yesterday, at around 3:00 am, Sunday, October 14, firefighters from the Largo/Upper Marlboro area responded to the 12800 block of Peachleaf Court in Upper Marlboro, a 2-story single family home, to investigate an activated smoke alarm. 

An alarm monitoring company received a signal indicating an activated smoke alarm in the house.  The alarm company notified Public Safety Communications and an engine from the Kettering/Largo Fire/EMS Station #846 was dispatched to investigate the alarm.  Firefighters arrived to find a working fire in the basement and immediately requested additional fire/EMS units. 

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and located an unconscious adult female during the primary search of the house. The female occupant, pulseless and not breathing, was removed by firefighters, treated on the scene by paramedics and transported to a hospital.  The female was suffering from 2nd and 3rd degree burns covering about 1/3 of her body as well as smoke inhalation injuries. 

Paramedics were successful in reestablishing a pulse on the victim prior to arrival at the hospital.

Despite the very best efforts of firefighters, paramedics and hospital staff the female succumbed to injuries late Sunday evening at the Prince Georges Hospital Center in Cheverly.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation, however, Fire Investigators believe the cause of the fire is “accidental.”  Fire loss is estimated at $30,000.  No other injuries were reported.

The identity of the deceased and updated information about the cause and origin of the fire will be released later today after an autopsy by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore.