@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, March 11, 2013

Laurel Apartment Fire - 5th Street

A firefighter returns a pet box turtle found in the burned out bedroom to the owner.

An unattended candle is believed to have started a fire in a 1st floor apartment in the 900 block of 5th Street in Laurel today about 1:30 pm.

A Laurel City Police Officer spotted a column of smoke and discovered the fire. He notified his dispatcher and proceeded to search for occupants. The apartment was unoccupied.

Firefighters arrived to extinguish a bedroom fire within 7 minutes of arrival. One of 3 pet box turtles was found and returned to the owner.

Two occupants of the apartment which is one of four units in this 2-story apartment building will be displaced and assisted by our Citizen Services Unit.

Preliminary fire loss is estimated at $25, 000. No injuries reported.

Mark E. Brady
Chief Spokesman/PIO
Prince George's County Fire/EMS

PGFD Participates in NBC 4 Health Expo for 20th Consecutive Year!!!

On Saturday, March 16, 2013, and Sunday, March 17, 2013, the NBC4 Health Expo will be at the Walter E. Washington Convention, Halls B and C, at 801 Mount Vernon Place, N.W., Washington, D.C. This year marks the 20th anniversary of the Expo, with civilian, career and volunteer members of the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department having participated in this event since its inception.

The Fire/EMS Department is currently seeking personnel to assist with our Fire and Life Safety displays and interactive games. If you are interested in participating in this worthwhile event, please contact Teresa Crisman as soon as possible at 301-583-1964.

Statewide Travelers Were Reminded to Change Your Clock and Change Your Battery

Many thanks to our public safety partners at the Maryland State Highway Administration for helping the fire service to spread the word of Safety First.   This past weekend the overhead highway signs throughout the State have displayed messages that "Smoke Alarms Save Lives" and reminded travelers to "Change Your Clock - Change Your Battery."

Mark E. Brady