@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, February 25, 2019

Laurel Couple Rescued From House Fire - Updated - Male Dies from Injuries

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief PIO, 240-508-7930
MEBrady@co.pg.md.us.    @PGFDPIO

Prince George's County Firefighters responded to a house fire this morning and rescued two occupants from inside their burning home.  At around 9:45 am, Monday, February 25th, firefighters arrived at a 2-story, split-foyer, single family home in the 15400 block of Laurelton Drive in Laurel.  Dispatch personnel from Public Safety Communications advised responding units the 911 caller reported someone, an adult mobility-limited male, was trapped in one of the bedrooms.  The first arriving unit advised of smoke showing and immediately went to work to initiate an interior attack on the fire and search for the trapped occupant.

The fire was located on the top floor kitchen area.  As it turns out there ended up being 2 occupants located by firefighters.  It is believed the couple to be husband and wife.  An adult female, believed to be the initial 911 caller, was found unconscious by firefighters from Laurel Fire/EMS Station 810 and Laurel Rescue Fire/EMS Station 849 and removed outside by way of the interior stairs.  Searches continued with an adult male located in a top floor bedroom by Firefighters from Beltsville Fire/EMS Station 831 and removed by a window and down a ladder.  Both occupants were suffering from smoke inhalation and treated on scene by medics before being transported to area hospitals in serious condition.

The fire was quickly extinguished and caused an estimated $50,000 in fire loss.  The cause of the fire was accidental and attributed to cooking.  Smoke alarms were present and working.  A firefighter sustained a leg injury and transported to a local hospital for treatment.  It is anticipated this will be a treat and release today.

Fire and EMS units from Howard County, Montgomery County and Anne Arundel County assisted on this incident.

Updated at 9:00 pm EST Monday, February 25, 2019

The adult male occupant rescued by firefighters from his 2nd floor bedroom has succumbed to his smoke inhalation related injuries earlier today at the hospital.  The man is identified as:

John Henry Karwoski, 91 years-of-age, of Laurel, MD.

The adult female rescued by firefighters that was believed to be Karwoski's spouse is actually his caretaker.  She remains hospitalized in critical condition.