@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, December 16, 2013

Arson Suspect Arrested by Fire Investigators

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

Prince George’s County Fire Investigators have arrested a suspect charged with 3 Felony counts related to a set fire.  On December 13, 2013, Fire Investigators arrested Louise Blount, 59 years of age, of no fixed address.  She is charged with 1st and 2nd Degree Arson and Malicious Burning.  These charges stem from a fire that occurred on November 7, 2013, inside an apartment building in the 2100 block of Alice Avenue in Oxon Hill.

Arson in the 1st Degree is a Felony and punishable by up to 30 years in jail.
Arson in the 2nd Degree is a Felony and punishable up to 20 years in jail.
Malicious Burning 1st Degree is a Felony punishable by up to 5 years in jail.


Blount is currently incarcerated at the Department of Corrections in Upper Marlboro on a $100,000 bond.

MEDIA ADVISORY - Live Christmas Tree Safety Demonstration

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

Everywhere you travel it seems you see a family on the way home with a recently purchased Christmas tree tied to the top of their vehicle.  The family will soon place their tree inside the house and decorate it.  Decorating a Christmas tree is a long-standing tradition that is festive and brings joy to many.  However, if not properly maintained from the time of purchase until you remove the tree – this festive and joyous event could easily turn to tragedy.  This upcoming weekend is slated to be the busiest weekend to purchase and decorate a tree – please select and enjoy your tree safely!!!

A “live” Christmas tree that is appropriately maintained and safety precautions with decorations in place should be safe inside of your home for up to two weeks.  However, according to the National Fire Protection Association, although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious.  A heat source too close to the tree causes roughly one in every six of the fires and one of every three home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical failures.

To assist residents and business better understand the dangers of an improperly maintained tree indoors the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department will provide a visual demonstration of an ignition and rapid consumption of a dried out tree.

WHAT:                  Christmas Tree Safety – Live and visual demonstration

WHEN:                  Tuesday, December 17, 3:00 pm

WHERE:                District Heights Fire/EMS Station 826 – rear parking lot.
                                5900 Marlboro Pike, District Heights (near intersection at Silver Hill Road)


WHO:                    Council Member Karen Toles, Fire Chief Marc Bashoor and the men and women of the        Fire/EMS Department.