@PGFDPIO Twitter

Friday, August 31, 2012

Firefighter Interview Availability at 12 Noon

The Firefighter that made the rescue of an adult female from 3317 Huntley Square Drive last night will be available for interviews this afternoon.

He will be at the St. Joseph's Fire/EMS Station 806 at 2901 St. Joseph Drive in Springdale between 12 noon and 1 pm today.

Please let me know if anyone from the media will attend.


This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Prince George's
County Government or Prince George's County 7th Judicial Circuit
Court proprietary information or Protected Health Information,
which is privileged and confidential. This E-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and
attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited by federal law
and may expose you to civil and/or criminal penalties. If you have
received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.

Mount Rainier Building Fire - 34th Street


Prince George’s County Firefighters battled a fire in Mount Rainier early Friday morning.  At around 3:30 am, August 31, firefighters were dispatched to a building fire in the 3800 block of 34th Street.  Fire/EMS units arrived to find fire showing from the roof of a 2-story building with a commercial occupancy on the first floor and an apartment on the second floor.

Firefighters quickly located a fire in the attic and extinguished it within 15 minutes of arrival.  The occupants were displaced and assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit.

Fire loss is estimated at $45,000 and the cause of the fire is “accidental” and attributed to an electrical malfunction.  No injuries were reported.

Mark E. Brady
PGFD PIO

Glenarden House Fire Displaces Family


Firefighters from the Landover area were alerted to a fire in a Glenarden home on Thursday night.  Just after 11:00 pm, Thursday, August 30, firefighters responded to 8650 Fulton Avenue and arrived to find fire coming from the roof of a 2-story duplex.  Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire located in the attic.  There were no injuries reported and an adult female and her child were displaced.  They were assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit with temporary accommodations.

The fire resulted from a malfunctioning HVAC system and caused an estimated $25,000 in fire loss.

Mark E. Brady

4 Rescued at Temple Hills 2-Alarm Fire -- 5 Firefighters and 1 Civilian Injured


MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

Four occupants were rescued and five firefighters and one civilian were injured during a 2-alarm fire in Temple Hills Thursday night.  At around 10:00 pm, Thursday, August 30, Prince George’s County Firefighter/Medics were alerted to an apartment fire at 3317 Huntley Square Drive in Temple Hills.  Fire/EMS units arrived to find a fire in a terrace level apartment of a 3-story (front) 4-story (rear) garden style condominium building.

One team of firefighters started to position themselves with hose lines to initiate an attack on the fire as other firefighters went to the upper floors to search for trapped occupants.  A sudden rush of superheated air escaped from the burning apartment consuming the stairwell where firefighters were still positioning themselves.  The intense heat and smoke filled the stairwell and hallways injuring firefighters and blocking egress for those on the upper floors.

Firefighters regrouped to advanced hose lines into the burning apartment, as firefighters performing search and rescue on the upper floors were forced to shelter-in place with four occupants, found during the search, unable to escape via the stairwell. 

One firefighter located an adult female occupant in the apartment directly above the unit on fire.  She had sustained burns to her lower extremities and her apartment was charged with thick toxic smoke.  Unable to escape via the stairwell he sheltered-in-place and called for help on his radio.  The firefighter removed his face piece that provides him fresh breathing air and placed in on the face of the female.  The firefighter radioed his position to incident commanders and requested immediate assistance.  The firefighter and the female then took turns taking breaths of fresh air from the face piece.  A few moments later the firefighter radioed that his air was running low just as other firefighters arrived to assist him and the female out of the apartment.  The female was transported to the Burn Unit and has been admitted.   The firefighter was transported to a local hospital where he was admitted overnight for treatment of heat exhaustion and smoke inhalation.  He has since been released this morning.  Both are expected to fully recover.

Three other occupants were removed from the building by firefighters from their upper floor apartments.  There were no injuries to these occupants or firefighters during the rescues.

There were four firefighters that sustained minor burn injuries from the rush of superheated air while in the stairwell.  They were transported to the Burn Unit at Medstar Washington Hospital Center.  They were all treated and released last night.

During the height of the incident with firefighters sustaining injuries and numerous rescues in progress, incident commanders requested a Second Alarm and additional EMS resources to the scene.  There were about 65 personnel operating on the scene.

The fire in the terrace apartment was extinguished within 20 minutes.  Fire Investigators determined the cause of the fire was “accidental” and attributed to unattended cooking.  Fire loss is estimated at $25,000.  Cooking, most notably unattended cooking, is the leading cause of fires and fire related injuries in Prince Georges County and throughout the Country.

There were 7 condominium units that were declared uninhabitable.  12 adults and 4 children occupy those 7 units.  They were assisted on the scene by the County Citizen Services Unit and declined Red Cross assistance, as they will make their own temporary living arrangements.

MEDIA NOTE - Audio tapes of the rescue will be released later today and a request has been made to see if the firefighter is able to be interviewed.