@PGFDPIO Twitter

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Unattended Coooking Ignites Apartment Blaze

Unattended cooking is blamed for igniting an apartment fire that displaced 23 residents. Just before 5:00 am, Saturday, October 2, 2010, firefighters from Silver Hill Fire/EMS Station #829 and other surrounding stations were alerted to a fire at 4509 23rd Parkway in Suitland; a 3-story garden style apartment building. Fire/EMS units arrived to find a fire in a first floor apartment with the fire extending to the upper floors. There were 30 firefighters on the scene that required 45 minutes to extinguish the fire. No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported. Fire loss is estimated at $100,000.

According to the Fire/EMS Departments Citizen Services Unit a total of 12 families were displaced. The 12 families consisted of 20 adults, 3 children, 1 dog, 7 birds and 26 fish. The Red Cross assisted 9 adults and 1 child with temporary shelter. Other families made their own arrangements.

Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires and fire related injuries in Prince George’s County. Citizens and residents should never leave the kitchen area with food cooking. “Out of Sight – Out of Mind” is certainly applicable in many of these cooking related fires.
The front side of the building shows fire extension to the upper floors.  (photo courtesy of Citizens Services Unit)