@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, July 2, 2012

County Cooling Centers Open for Tuesday July 3

Press Release For Immediate Release: July 2, 2012   For Information Contact: Scott L. Peterson Press Secretary PH: 240-619-9400 Slpeterson@co.pg.md.us (Media only please, residents should call 301-583-1950)   Prince George’s Continues County Cooling Centers for Tuesday, July 3, 2012   Updated Locations     Hyattsville, MD – The Prince George’s County Office of Emergency Management will resume operations of its cooling centers on Tuesday, July 3rd.    Below is a list of cooling centers and shelters available to residents on Tuesday, July 3rd. Please note hours of operation.  Many of the cooling centers are Park & Recreation Community Centers serving in dual capacities for camp and other daily activities.    1pm - 9pm: Berwyn Heights Community Center 6200 Pontiac Street, Berwyn Heights, MD   Baden Community Center 13601 Baden-Westwood Road, Brandywine, MD   Potomac Landing Community Center 12500 Fort Washington Road Fort Washington, MD 20744   Glenarden Community Center 8615 McLain Avenue, Glenarden, MD   Palmer Park Community Center, 7720 Barlowe Road, Landover, MD   Lake Arbor Community Center 10100 Lake Arbor Way, Mitchellville, MD   Glassmanor Community Center 1101 Marcy Avenue, Oxon Hill, MD   Cedar Heights Community Center 1200 Glen Willow Drive, Seat Pleasant, MD   1pm - 6pm: Camp Springs Senior Activity Center (for seniors only) 6420 Allentown Road Camp Springs, MD   9am - 5pm: St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church 14900 Annapolis Road, Bowie, MD   11am - 9pm: Laurel Armory 422 Montgomery St., Laurel, MD   6am - 9pm: Dipietro Community Center 7901 Cypress St., Laurel, MD   Time TBD: Bowie Senior Center 14900 Health Center Drive, Bowie, MD   The Following Cooling Centers will continue their 24 hour Service: Northwestern High School 7000 Adelphi Road Hyattsville, MD   Kentland Community Center 2411 Pinebrook Ave., Landover, MD   Residents who require overnight accommodations are encouraged to go to the shelter at Northwestern High School, 7000 Adelphi Road, Hyattsville, MD.   In addition, residents who are in need of recharging their medical oxygen devices should go to one of the cooling centers, fire stations or the Northwestern High School shelter to charge their equipment.    The Prince George’s County Fire Department reminds citizens to use battery operated lights and flash lights in lieu of candles.  A couple of post-storm fires that occurred were the result of residents using candles for light. In order to conserve cool air, residents are encouraged to use discretion in opening windows in order to keep cooler air inside as well as minimizing the time refrigerators and freezers are opened.  Additionally, we have had close calls of lethal levels of carbon monoxide due to misuse of generators.  We encourage all residents to use generators properly. For tips on proper generator use, please click here.   The Prince George’s County Department of Family Services has been regularly communicating with all senior citizen, assisted living centers, and nursing homes in the County. Residents are encouraged to check on the elderly, neighbors, family members and those who may have special needs.    Residents and media are encouraged to follow @CountyExecBaker on Twitter or “County Executive Rushern Baker” on Facebook for information and updates.  The phone number to the Emergency Operation Center is 301-583-1950.        

Safety First Day of the Month - Test your Smoke Alarm and Carbon Monoxide Detector


Sunday, July 1, 2012, was the first day of the month, it is time to perform the most basic function in ensuring you, your family and loved ones are protected by a working smoke alarm and carbon monoxide (co) detector.

On the first day of every month the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department will remind you to test your smoke alarm and co detector to ensure they are working. Tragedy struck the County in April and we, the Fire/EMS Department and you, need to do our part in keeping safety first.

Push the “test” button on the front cover of your wall/ceiling mounted smoke alarm or co detector.

An audible warning tone should be heard loud and clear throughout the area it is located.

• If your smoke alarm or co detector does not emit a sound when tested:

1. Provide a fresh battery to the device and re-test.

2. Still no audible warning?? Replace the device with a new one immediately.

When testing your smoke alarm, it’s a good time to gather your family and allow them to hear the audible warning signal. Let them know what to do in the event they hear the warning, discuss two ways out of every room and designate a safe meeting place outside in the event of a fire or other emergency.

If you have any questions about fire safety, escape planning, carbon monoxide detectors or smoke alarms contact our Safety First program at 301-864-SAFE (7233).

Man Trapped in Mulch Machine Greets Rescuers

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

He doesn't remember much from April 17th.  He recognized some of the faces of his rescuers from the pictures he has seen about the incident.  Larry Marshall Porter, 60 years of age, of Maysville, West Virginia, visited with the firefighter/medics and members of the Technical Rescue Team that rescued him after he became trapped within a mulch dye machine in Laurel.    He and his family came to the Laurel Fire/EMS Station #810 to meet personnel that were on the call.  Larry was very gracious and thanked the crews for everything they did for him that day.  He has survived the ordeal and continues to visit doctors in Baltimore for follow-up treatment for the injuries to his legs.

MEDIA NOTE:  Any member of the media that would like to interview Mr. Porter may call me for his contact information.

All photos by Mark E. Brady

Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor greets Larry Porter and his family at the Laurel Fire/EMS Station #810.

Paramedic Ed Aldaco was one of the first to make contact with Larry Porter when he was trapped in the machine.

Larry Porter shares his memories from that day and spoke of his current medical status.

Larry Porter with his wife Aileen, his daughter; Suenette Bara and grandaughters, Riley and Chole along with members of the Fire/EMS Department that assisted in his rscue.