@PGFDPIO Twitter

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2-Alarm Greenbelt Apartment Building Fire - Edmonston Terrace

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

Firefighters battled a fire in a Greenbelt apartment building that required about 30 minutes to extinguish. At around 4:30 pm, Wednesday, December 26, firefighters were alerted to a fire at 9133 Edmonston Terrace in Greenbelt.  This is a 2-story front/3-story in the rear garden style apartment building.

Upon arrival, firefighters found fire showing from the top two floors on the front side of the building. A civilian was rescued by firefighters using a extended ground ladder from his top floor apartment balcony in the rear of the building after retreating there for shelter.  The civilian was not injured.

A 2nd Alarm was sounded bringing about 50 firefighters and medics to the scene.

The fire grew in intensity and eventually extended through the roof before all personnel were evacuated. The bulk of the fire was then knocked down from the exterior before firefighters returned to the interior and completed extinguishment.

One firefighter declared a Mayday after becoming separated from his crew while operating in the building at the height of the fire. The firefighter maintained his location until he was almost immediately located by other firefighters. The firefighter was not injured.

Fortunately, no injuries were reported. All of the apartments in the building of origin are displaced as well from the attached building on each side. There is a total of 30 apartments in the 3 buildings with 21 that are occupied.

The cause of the fire is accidental and attributed to a malfunctioning furnace. Preliminary fire loss is estimated at $250,000.


All images and video by Mark E. Brady, PGFD PIO












Update on Injured Firefighters

The three firefighters injured in this mornings house fire have been released from the Medstar Washington Hospital Center Burn Unit.

All three sustained burn injuries while battling a house fire in the 2800 block of Colebrooke Drive at around 3:00 am today.

Despite wearing their full personal protective equipment and gear, the firefighters sustained 1st and 2nd degree burns to multiple parts of their body after being exposed to extreme heat. They will remain off-duty until follow-up treatments at the Burn Unit have been completed.

Mark E. Brady
PGFD Chief Spokesperson


This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Prince George's
County Government or Prince George's County 7th Judicial Circuit
Court proprietary information or Protected Health Information,
which is privileged and confidential. This E-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and
attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited by federal law
and may expose you to civil and/or criminal penalties. If you have
received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.

Bowie House Fire - Anxious Moments but Everyone is OK

Some anxious moments at a Bowie house fire this afternoon. At around 12:30 pm today a fire in a Bowie home sparked an intensive search for 4 children reported to be trapped inside the burning home by their father.

An alarm company notified the adult male home owner of an activated alarm at his house in the 12500 block of Knowledge Lane. The father left work and arrived at about the same time as firefighters that were alerted after a neighbor notified 911. Smoke was rolling out of the eaves of the 2-story single family home and heavy smoke conditions filled the interior.

The father was not aware that his wife had taken the children to another location for the day and he frantically explained to firefighters that as many as 4 children were trapped inside.

An intensive search and rescue commenced and additional fire and EMS units were summoned to the scene.
A fire in a 2nd floor closest had extended into the attic and firefighters were working on extinguishing the fire as other firefighters continued to look for the four children. A family pet dog was located and removed safely from the home but no children were located.

After establishing some family communication the father learned that his family was safe at another location. He was not aware no one was at home.

The fire was quickly extinguished and the cause is under investigation. Fire loss is estimated at $20,000. No injuries reported.


This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Prince George's
County Government or Prince George's County 7th Judicial Circuit
Court proprietary information or Protected Health Information,
which is privileged and confidential. This E-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and
attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited by federal law
and may expose you to civil and/or criminal penalties. If you have
received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.

Firefighters Injured Battling Temple Hills House Fire

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

Three firefighters have been admitted to the Burn Unit after being injured battling a Temple Hills house fire early this morning.  Firefighter/Medics arrived at a 1-story, brick exterior, with basement, single family home in the 2900 block of Colebrooke Drive just before 3:00 am, Wednesday, December 26.  Heavy smoke was issuing from the basement level of the house and occupants advised firefighters that 3 family members were unaccounted for.  One team of firefighters initiated an aggressive search of the house as other teams entered the structure on the first floor and basement level to fight the fire.  The search team yielded negative results on their primary search and were notified that all 13 occupants had been accounted for and were safe outside.

The fire was located in the basement.  High heat and thick smoke filled the basement and stairway leading up to the first floor.  Firefighters made their way into the basement through an exterior door and began to extinguish the fire.  Three firefighters positioned themselves at the top of the stairwell  to "hold the stairs" using a charged hose line to prevent the fire from extending from the basement to the first floor. The heat rising from the basement fire was nearly unbearable, however, firefighters held their position at the top of the stairs and were successful in preventing any significant fire extension to the top floor.

The fire was extinguished within 10 minutes of arrival.  The three firefighters that were positioned at the top of the steps sustained burn injuries from the intense heat.  The burns are considered minor and are consistent with the degree of injuries firefighters sustain, even when wearing their personal protective equipment, when exposed to intense heat.  One firefighter was burned on his neck, ears and wrist, the second firefighter had burns on his arms and wrist and the third sustained burns to his ears, wrist and knee.  Paramedics transported all three to the Medstar Washington Hospital Center Burn Unit where they have since been admitted for evaluation and treatment.  There were no civilian injuries.

Fire Investigators determined the cause of the fire to be accidental and attributed to a malfunctioning dehumidifier.  Fire loss is estimated at $100,000.  There are 8 adults and 5 children that reside in the house.  They are displaced and currently being assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit.

These photos courtesy of Billy McNeel, Citizen Services Unit