@PGFDPIO Twitter

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Car Drives Through Front of Camp Springs Convenience Store


Just before 1:00 pm, Saturday, a vehicle drove through the front doors of a 7-11 store at 6319 Allentown Road in Camp Springs. Despite considerable damage, no one was injured. A Fire Department Inspector was summoned to inspect any possible structural damage. The County Police Department is investigating the incident.

Attached photo courtesy of PGFD.

Mark Brady
PGFD PIO




TURKEY FRYER SAFETY TIPS


TURKEY FRYER SAFETY TIPS

The growing popularity of turkey fryers is a concern for firefighters and paramedics.  There is a potential for fire and injuries if the turkey is not properly prepared and if the fryer is not used correctly.  Use common-sense safety habits to avoid mishaps, remember, Safety First ensures everyone goes home!!!

The combined personnel; career, civilian and volunteer, of the Prince George'sCounty Fire/EMS Departments wish everyone a safe, festive and happy Thanksgiving.  We ask that you follow these simple safety tips if you are using a turkey fryer:

  • Use turkey fryers outdoors a safe distance from buildings and any other combustible materials.
  • Always follow manufacturers instructions on the set-up and use of the fryer.
  • Inspect the propane tank and all associated tubes and connections to ensure there are no leaks of the flammable gas.
  • Never use turkey fryers in a garage or on a wooden deck.
  • Make sure fryers are used on a flat surface to reduce accidental tipping.
  • Never leave the fryer unattended. Most units do not have thermostat controls. If you do not watch the fryer carefully, the oil will continue to heat until it catches fire.
  • Never let children or pets near the fryer even if it is not in use. The oil inside the cooking pot can remain dangerously hot hours after use.
  • To avoid oil spillover, do not overfill the fryer.
  • Use well-insulated potholders or oven mitts when touching pot or lid handles. If possible, wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from oil splatter.
  • Make sure the turkey is completely thawed and be careful with marinades. Oil and water do not mix; water causes oil to spill over causing a fire or even an explosion hazard.
  • The National Turkey Federation recommends thawing the turkey in the refrigerator approximately 24 hours for every five pounds in weight.
  • Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher nearby. Never use water to extinguish a grease fire. If the fire is manageable, use your all-purpose fire extinguisher. If the fire increases, immediately call the fire department for help.